Monday, June 30, 2008

nothing important...

... I started listening to J-pop in general back in 5th grade elementary... It started with anime and super sentai obssesion...

I always feel good when listening to J-pop... people think it's weird because I don't understand the lyrics... but that's just the beauty of it... i don't feel that the music demands my comprehension... i can listening without having to go in analytical mode to do a semiotic reading of the lyrics... i don't need to know what the lyrics mean... the music can speak by itself... everything fits together: melody, rhythm, vocal quality, tempo, instrumental arrangement, technicality, and most important of all, HARMONY

I'm in my senior year in college already and J-pop is still with me...

some people say that most japanese are xenophobic (alas, the short career of coconuts musume)... i really can't say... the same people say that most filipinos are xenophillic... the filipino-xenophobia thing, i can say somewhat has some truth to it... personally, i don't listen to Pinoy(Filipino) Pop... except when the rabu-rabu demands it... but I listen to everybody else's Pop...
sometimes when i try to rationalize the phenomena of J-pop in my life, i think it's a way for me to reach out to my asian roots since the Philippines is the least Asian country in Asia (in my humble opinion)... I listen to K-pop and Taiwanese Pop too but not as much as J-pop... Probably, it's also part of the desire to identify with one of the strongest countries in the pacific asian region... we like to identify with winners... the Japanese have such a rich culture deeply rooted in their history... i think that's amazing...

No comments: